Norwegian Wood. Organic bed and breakfast with
en-suite sustainable well-being. Evening meals.
Hollicombe Lane, Preston Paignton ,TQ3 2DT
Open for Easter, Christmas and New Year.
Things to do.
Steam railway observation.
Geo Play park.
South Devon Coastal/Cycle Path .
John Musgrove Trail.
Agatha Christie Tour.
Transition Town Torquay and Totnes .
Norwegian Wood is an unusual 1925 house overlooking the English Riviera providing sea air and colour that will relax and revitalise, whether you visit for business, health or pleasure. Only fifteen minutes drive to Totnes.
John and Heather offer you an individual and personal welcome.
Sit in the garden under the monkey puzzle tree ( illuminated at night)and the walnut tree with our cats Daisy and Blossom and take in the stunning views of the sea. We are open ALL YEAR /christmas,easter and bank holidays offering sustainable accommodation of a high standard.
Start the day with a healthy, organic, full-english meat, vegan, lacto-vegetarian, wheat-free, raw food or other customised breakfast to suit your dietary needs, Breakfast is always conventionally cooked Aga or convection never microwaved! Organic beverages and filtered drinking water in rooms.Organic Packed lunches.
You could book a one hour consultation with Heather ( Member of the Institute for Learning, federation for Nutritional therapy practitioners)for Iridology and nutritional naturopathy the following morning or during your stay,
Book a group/family workshop on taking your own health on your own shoulders with nutrition,naturopathic nursing techniques such as Castor oil packing,isopathy,skin brushing, enemas,juicing,cellular health using the solar and lunar calenders. Click on nutritional naturopathy for more details.
Then maybe visit one of the many nearby attractions, three minutes walk to Hollicombe Beach. Close to Institute beach,Preston Sands, Scadsons wood, Paignton geo play area, English riviera , Cockington,Totnes. Close to local bus/train/boat routes.We are a stones throw from the John Musgrove Trail and the South West Coastal path.
All our food is certified organic, free range and locally sourced, if the provenance, quality and taste is excellent.
We are a non-smoking, ecologically sensitive household committed to recycling and laundering our own linens in environmentally and skin-friendly detergent.
We welcome families and their children, Rail enthusiasts,bat and butterfly specialists,walkers, divers, surfers, cyclists, hikers, artists, photographers. We can cater for a family or group up to seven with private bathroom and lounge with fantastic views of the sea. Singles/doubles /twins share bathroom and lounge.
There is plenty of safe parking on site.
Family room £60.00pn based on two people sharing.
Free for children sharing double sofa bed up to 10 years
Singles £40.00 pppn. share bathroom and lounge.
One double room £60.00 pn with one single bed FREE for
one child up to 10 years old inclusive of organic multi
choice breakfast menu. Shares bathroom with family room.
Added Value offered for Norwegian wood
- Magnificent views of Torbay.
- Organic beverage tray.
- Jug of filtered drinking water.
- Organic bed linen. Own Lounge .
- Use of beautiful gardens.
- Dietary requirements a pleasure for
- Heather who is a Nutritional Naturopath with many years
- Take your health on your own shoulders.
- Go to Nutritional Naturopathy link for family work shop details.
NR Pay Pal Deposit of £60.00 for double and £40.00 for singles secures your booking.
Cash or Pay Pal for full amount on or before departure.
Traditional meat, vegan and vegetarian. Locally sourced if possible. Free range outdoor reared and organic when possible.
Muesli, Porridge, Cornflakes.
Juice of the day.
Full Traditional English: Bacon, sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans and a fried egg.
Vegan: Tofu Beanie with beans, mushrooms, tomatoes.
Poached eggs on toast
Mushrooms on toast
Brown or white toast ,oat cakes.
Butter, marmalade, agave syrup.
Fresh ground coffee, Tea, roibosch, lemon and ginger, fresh mint and rosemary when available from garden.
EVENING MEALS to be arranged in advance please.
Three course meal: £15.00 pp
Soup and sandwich: £6.00pp
Chilli and garlic prawn salad with garlic bread: £8.00
Any menu requests welcome.
Holly blue butterflies, newts,deer,badgers,hedehogs,woods.
Shingle consultation room.
thank you so much for a really pleasant B&B experience at the Norwegian Wood - good luck & best wishes from Rob, Becky, Toby & Holly xx
How are you? Sorry for a delay on getting this feedback to you. The truth is I have been thinking about Torquay a lot since returning, it was such a good trip and the sea and friendliness of our stay has stuck! Here is a bit mainly from Brayley, followed by a bit from me on the advice and diagnosis you gave me. I have attached some photos you might like to keep or use for the website, Preston beach, Torquay harbour. They are big files will send some following others on.
We hope you have fully recovered from your illness now, and we have very much appreciated the welcome and kindnesses you showed us during our stay with you when your energies must have been so depleted. It felt very much as though we were staying in your home, but with the privacy of our own very comfortable and exceptionally equipped room and lounge with its wonderful views from one side of the bay the other. Stunning! Preston and its lovely stretch of red sandy beach, quiet and still much the same as it was in the 1950's when I visited as a child, is an oasis of calm between the bustling towns of Torquay and Paignton. And breakfast was unfailingly delicious with a wide choice and would suit anybody whatever their food preferences. The welcoming committee of Blossom and Daisy, two affectionate cats, was the perfect way to feel at home and we never tired of looking across the bay at any time of day or evening. A beautiful and thoughtfully finished Bed and Breakfast enabling complete relaxation.
Thanks for fitting me in for an assessment at short notice during our lovely stay at your house. I'm new to irridology and I was surprised and impressed with how much it picked up about my geneology and my health. I have been following your advice since returning and I have much more comfort in my stomach especially after eating. I wish I'd found out about some of the suggestions years ago! I will start the caster oil treatment soon. Still sourcing organic suppliers for things. Thank you for alerting me to the extent I was effectively poisoning my body and suggesting complimentary therapies which I'll begin taking up soon. I will report back with any news. Please give the cats a stroke!
Very best wishes,
Lou & Brayley
- Thank you for a wonderful a couple of days, you made us all feel so welcome. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, the breakfasts were tasty and the evening meal you cooked us was first class. I would recommend you to friends and we will definitely be back, if we're in the area.
Thank you, Chris, Laura and Eva.
- Thanks Heather, for looking after me so well. I love the principles of what you’re doing with Norwegian Wood – I can’t imagine your guests ever feeling like they’re ‘just another customer’. The room & bathroom were beautiful, spotless and really comfortable – I immediately felt ‘home from home’. My Aga-cooked dinner was equally unfussy, prepared with care, and really delicious. You were so helpful, thoughtful, interesting, and calm – all making it quite possibly one of my most relaxing nights in a B&B ever. Jane , London.
- Wow! organic Heaven! totally lush food and hospitality,norwegianwood is a wonderful jewel in Devon's crown. Terry and Jay B.
- Beautifully clean and spacious room,quiet and comfortable, with superb views of the sea, delicious breakfast, and gracious hosts for whom nothing is too much trouble. Henry P.
- A big thank-you from us to heather and john for making us so at home in their lovely home. We were made to feel really welcome and really at home. Interesting chat, great views, delicious food and great location at a budget price, what more could you ask for! Would highly recommend!
thanks for a lovely weekend hope to see you soonx Ameet Hannah Rohan and Mala
- Dear Heather,
Just wanted to say a big thanks for making me feel so welcome during my stay at Norwegian Wood.
It was the perfect location and an excellent find!
It's close to Totnes where I was doing a yoga course. It was a scenic and easy drive which was well rewarded due to the location of your home. In between yoga sessions, I could take lovely beach walks on the almost private Hollicome beach or walk further afield into Painton and Goodrington beach.
The breakfasts were excellent - very tasty, filling and nutritious. I have even changed some of my eating habits as a result of some of your suggestions and feel much better for it.
I loved the views from the bedroom and the garden to the sea. The room was very comfortable and I loved the lounge seating area and bathroom. Everything was so clean and homely. Definitely a home away from home, a perfect retreat, and one that I hope to return to some day soon.
Best wishes to you and your family
- PS - I am still not eating bread and cheese, cut down on the coffee (alot) and drinking a daily cup of linseed tea (which is actually quite comfrting as a night time drink), even had a go at cooking. I brought the castor oil but haven't tried it as it seems a messy business! I do feel a bit better - thanks for your suggestions.
- Thanks to Heather for her warm and professionel welcome at her peaceful haven on the busy English Riviera. A very comfortable room with far reaching views over Torbay and unique breakfast offerings, tailored for each guest! Heather has set a benchmark for the next time we stay in a b&b!
Mark and Claire.
- Dear Heather,
Many thanks to you and Norwegian Wood for looking after my guests so well when they came to stay in July for my birthday.
As my house was already full to overflowing over that weekend it was nice to know that the 2 couples were going to be well cared for. Both sets of friends are discriminating travellers and expressed themselves delighted with the accommodation, the welcome and the excellent breakfast.
It will be a while until I have another 'landmark' birthday but will certainly bear you in mind for next time.
With all good wishes
- 'One of the best B &B's I've stayed in, and the friendliest. Sausages to die for'. Wayne.
- Hi Heather,
Just wanted to say thank you for the lovely stay. The pillows were divine, relaxing with such amazing views was restorative, and breakfast was scrumptious.
- Dear HeatherDer Aufenthalt im "Norwegian Wood" hat alle unsere Erwartungen erfüllt: Freundlichkeit, wunderbarer Garten, tolle Aussicht aufs Meer, schöne Zimmer, gesundes britisches Frühstück und Nähe zu Bus, Bahn und Meer. Guter Ausgangspunkt für Wanderungen und Ausflüge zum Dartmoor, Totnes, Plymouth, Cornwall und viele andere Orte im Südwesten Englands. Wir empfehlen dieses B&B uneingeschränkt weiter.
Alex & Christin Willener-Linder, Lucerne Switzerland Our stay at Norwegian Wood has exceeded our expectations: Cordiality, nice rooms, beautiful garden, great view, healthy british breakfast and proximity to public transport and to the beaches. Good starting point for excursions to Dartmoor, Totnes, Plymouth, Cornwall and many other places in the South West. We recommend this B&B thoroughly.
Alex & Christin Willener-Linder, Lucerne SwitzerlandCheers
Hollicombe Beach.3 minutes walk from Norwegian wood.
Norwegian wood shaker kitchen and breakfast room with
beautiful sea views.
Rare oriel bay windows with original stained glass panels of
Blossom on my bed not yours.!!!
Blue bells in spring Scadson's wood.
Easter/Christmas/ Birthday gift
for Heart felt sustainable outcomes.
One nights bed and organic breakfast with one hour
nutritional naturopathy 'iridology consultation £65.00
Non refundable .